“Topical quote goes here."
The first homes and people in New Paris.
The settlement and establishment of the Cuppett Farm.
Historical account from the 1948 New Paris Centennial Program:
The first house in the village was built in 1846 by William M. Blackburn. It was torn down about 1900 by the owner of the property, W. S. Holderbaum. Jacob Coplin erected a stone dwelling in 1848 and Ruben Davis a frame structure in 1850. Neither of these is now standing. The fifth house was built by Luther Davis l853 and was occupied by Richard Coplin. A room in this building was first fitted for store purposes in the village and was furnished with goods by Jacob W. Miller and Isaac Conley in 1856. The store was managed by Mrs. Eliza Richards. John Wayde purchased an interest in the store the following year. In 1859 Mr. Wayde erected a building on the west side of the street opposite the store building. The above store was moved to the new building and Mr. Wayde retained an interest in the store for 18 years. On the site of this old stone building erected in 1859, J. Howard Taylor adorned it with a beautiful dwelling in 1900.
In 1858 Jacob Bowers erected the building occupied by Jackson Crissman, a part of which was occupied as a store room for many years by G. W. Blackburn Sr. and Albert Wright. The large store building now occupied by Mrs. W. J. Shoenthal and operated by her son Henry, was built in 1868 by the latter's grandfather, Henry Shoenthal. ln 1874 Thomas K. Blackburn erected a large store building on the site of the old stone structure of Jacob Coplin and did a large business for many years. Other successful merchants of our town previous to 1900 were: J. F. Blackburn and Son; J. B. Miller and S. H. Mickle; G. B. Slick and Co.; and W. H. Bowden. Some of the more recent merchants were W. J. Shoenthal; E. R. Mickle; A J. Crissman; H. M. Ridenour and George E. McMillen. At present they are: Mrs. Elsie Davis; H. B. Feather; Cletus Pile; Henry Shoenthal; W.W. Rock and Mervin Miller.
The first house built afforded a pleasant residence for Mr. Blackburn for 5 years, but in the spring of 1851 he sold his estate comprised of the ground on which the greater part of the town now stands, to Mr. Raffensparger for $600. The same summer on July 2, 1851, Mr. Blackburn, the founder of New Paris, died. This the first house of New Paris, after being enlarged and under going material improvement again changed hands. Elizabeth Garretson became its possessor. The building was pebbledashed while belonging to her. Afterwards it became the home of Mrs. Joseph Mitchell.
Following in chronological order is a list of the first dwellings:
Date - Built By - Present Occupant
1846 - W. M. Blackburn - not standing
1848 - Jacob Coplin - not standing
1850 - Jacob Coplin - not standing
1850 - Reuben Davis - not standing
1853 - Luther Davis - John Klotz
1856 - John W. Davis - Lloyd Davis
1858 - Jacob Bowers - Carl Wendell
1860 - Jacob Snook - not standing
1861 - John Otto - not standing
1862 - John Gephart Sr. - not standing
1866 - A. F. Blackburn - A. E. Miller
1867 - John Shrader - Harvey Nunamaker
1868 - Henry Shoenthal - Mrs. Maude Shoenthal
1869 - A. F. Blackburn - Harper Beckley
The village received its name by Daniel Raffensparger, who posted his books or accounts by using the name New Paris. Although it was for awhile called Coplin Town on account of Jacob Coplin, who was one of the most prominent citizens of its early history. It was dropped in later years and the place retained the name New Paris. The southern part now known as "Mud Town", was at one time called Omaha.
New Paris was incorporated a borough September 7, 1882 and held its first election on October 17, 1882 with the following result: Burgess, W. J. Statler; Councilmen, Dr. W. A Grazier, Job Mock, Alexander Otto, G. P. McCreary, A. G. Blackburn, and John Coplin. The present burgess of the village is J. Howard Taylor.
William Washington Cuppett and Anna Border Cuppett built and lived in the old Cuppett farmhouse that still stands across from the barn. William's father, Isaac Alexander Cuppett, originally bought the land for the Cuppett farm. It is speculated that the old building behind the farmhouse may have been the family's first dwelling, inhabited by Issac Alexander and his wife Mary Margaret Albaugh. The Cuppett farm has been passed down the generations to its current owner, C. Cecil Cuppett.